Saturday 11 June 2011

Folk-Indie; obsession

In my final year of high-school I have found myself locked up like a hermit stu-dying more than one too many a weekend. Thus, last night's venture, first to 'The Earl of Leincester' for a meal and later a gig was a welcomed break (oh, thank you long-weekend!). No, 'welcomed' definately understates my experience.. 'incredible' will, perhaps, suffice.

The Middle East, a Folk-Indie group (of no less than seven members!) performed for a packed 'Governor Hindmarsh Hotel' last night. Musically they were moving, and sombre, and... wonderful. The talented group used a plethora of instruments to achieve their unique sound, including but definately not limited to [my musical knowledge]: guitar, keyboard, accordian, harmonica, banjo, flute, trumpet, percussion and drums.

I'll admit, when they first appeared on the stage... I thought the motley group may have been roadies or simply stage hands.. and the drummer! I was convinced he was security. Not to forget the (I guess) lead vocalists; a guy in a baseball cap whose head and 'shoulder length hair' lollied side to side like a metronome on steroids, a red-head-hippy-chick and young guy who's face, ever hidden behind a great black lock of black hair, I saw little. Though my favourite was definately the percussion guy, who, with rainstick in hand, 'Jesus-like do' and tribal-like dancing, really set the tone for the night.

Lyrically.. well okay I'll admit I couldn't really understand what was being mumbled, but their harmonies were beautiful. One song in particular appealed to me: 'The Darkest Side' quite literally brought tears to my eyes. Although I could not understand logically what they were singing about, I think maybe something in my subconscious latched on to the theme or story being expressed. The lyrics (which I searched after arriving home ..in the early hours of the morning) resonate with me completely. It was almost like the lyrics were written about mine, and my mother's life. Their debut album I Want That You Are Always Happy will very soon be making an appearance in my Itunes library.

Love. This.

No comments:

Post a Comment